Friday, July 19, 2013

Birthday Shoes! Weight Loss! Squats In A Museum!

So, hey, I'm turning 44 tomorrow. Yay! Is it weird that I've been reminiscing about my teenage years lately?....please tell me I'm not the only one. 

Been a pretty good week around here! Did I mention it's my birthday tomorrow? My hubby is awesome, he took me out today to get some NEW jogging shoes. Here they are: 

Purple and "citron," which really means "fluorescent greeny-yellow" and not lemon, like you'd think.

The girl at the running store totally sized up my feet just by looking at them. The last time I had shoes fitted at a running store, they had me get on a treadmill and watched me jog before making a recommendation. This girl today did pretty much THE SAME THING by eyeballing my feet - she said the same thing the other guys did! (If you're interested - I have a medium arch and a minor problem with pronating, or the feet turning slightly inward.) 

Also, the weight loss is continuing! I'm down over 20 lbs now!!! Don't know the exact number, because, well, I was so horrified at how big I was that I didn't weigh myself until I was several weeks into my eating / working out program. At that point I guesstimated my weight at 180. Realistically it was more. This week I'm down to 168. I really do think my heaviest weight was close to 190 or even slightly more...I mean, I was wearing size 18 clothes, for Pete's sake! 

But okay, I'll take the "official" twelve pounds down. That's fine too. I'm not a size 18 anymore either.

So, I think I may have mentioned this thing I signed up for - the Spartan Race. 

There is NO FREAKING WAY I will look anywhere near this awesomely cool crawling under barbed wire.





Did you know I signed up for this? It's true, I did. Much as it looks like it's all about crawling in the mud under barbed wire, you won't believe it, but that's not the only thing you do in this race. Apparently there's a lot of running. Jogging. Going up and down hills. (Possibly rock climbing as well.) Anyway - the course is 8+ miles (Dear God In Heaven, please don't make the "plus" part more than a couple miles! Amen) so there will be some running or jogging involved. Which means, duh, I will have to jog. At least a little. 

Did I mention my knee didn't like jogging a few years ago? And that I stopped jogging for awhile? Yeah, it's true! Now I'm trying to get back to jogging again, and at the same time, trying to strengthen the knee so it will be okay with the jogging. I may have mentioned this.

Anyway - on the recommendation from one of my support group friends (Sparkpeople!!!! Yeah!!!!), I started a "Couch to 5K" program - C25K for short, which is cute when you say it Cee Two Five Kay, and not when you say, Cee Twenty-Five Kay like a dummy (like I did at first). I'm in the second week of this 5-week program. And Yes! Hooray! Jogging is happening! For real! Okay, it's really slow jogging, and it's intermittent, but hey, it's a starting point!!! 

Tonight I completed my second week / 6th walk/jog workout on the program, and I have to say: I am, indeed, starting to see a difference. I am getting stronger, the legs are getting more adapted to running, and the knee isn't complaining much. Sooooo happy about this! 

In between walk/jog workouts I like to do the classes at the gym. Here is a picture of me with my favorite instructor. She's super cute and super mean at the same time. I asked if I could take her picture with me and when I said I would call her "The Wicked Witch of the West" on this blog, she cheerfully obliged. 

The Wicked Witch on the left. I'm on the right. She is SO cute, amiright?

 
This is the same instructor who offers to give a free punch in the stomach to first-time CX Works participants, just so they'll know what they're in for with this terrible, terrible core workout. Surprisingly no one has yet to take her up on this offer.

And, in homage to all the squats we do in the BodyPump class, I took this picture of some ancient wooden statue from Africa. It looks like this lady is doing a squat. I don't know why it's the least bit interesting. Maybe I think it's funny there's a statue of a squatting woman in an actual museum. 
Why? Why are they squatting? Do they have bad knees too?
I get this same look on my face during squats


 




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment