Sunday, July 21, 2013

Bread Happens. Or - Let Them Eat Toothfish

My husband is AWESOME. Seriously. THE BEST. 

Not only did he buy me new jogging shoes for my birthday, he also took me out of town to a nice hotel, gave me a spa day, and made reservations for us to eat at a very trendy (read: expensive) restaurant. And then, after all that, he took me to a movie. (I LOVE going to the movies.)

Best. Birthday. EVER.


Pre-massage. Note the posh interior.
 
Pedicure was last, after the massage and the facial.
Windows look over a beautiful, peaceful garden. So serene.
I can't show you a picture of the massage or the facial because, duh, I was too busy relaxing and getting massaged and facial-ed to take pictures. The massage therapist was terrific, by the way! Great hands. (I can say this without it being weird because I used to be a massage therapist.) Anyway - strangely, my left shoulder blade area was super tense, and also the lower left leg. This confused us at first but then it occurred to me: There is a 25-lb reason why the left side of my body is more tense than the right. Yep, it's my grandson! I watch him nearly every day and I hold him on the left almost always because I'm right-handed! Mystery solved.

I really enjoyed the pedicure, too. At this spa the pedicure chairs are all set up in this long room, and directly across from the chairs are windows overlooking a lush garden. That's quite a thoughtful touch, isn't it? Most places, when you get a pedicure, you're either staring at other people across from you getting pedicures, or else you're looking into the salon watching people get their nails and/or hair done. I loved looking out at the garden during the pedicure. And while I was there, it rained! It was so lovely and peaceful and pampering, and the rain was just perfect.....I was so happy. I know where I'll be going for a pedicure next time!

After all the massaging and soothing music and pampering, hubby whisked me away to a fancy hotel, and then a fancy dinner. We went for seafood at a chic (read: pricey) restaurant. 

I had Chilean Sea Bass. Wikipedia says there's no such thing, that it's actually called a Toothfish, but restaurants call it Chilean Sea Bass because it sounds so much better than Toothfish. Here is a Wikipedia picture of the Toothfish (A.K.A. my dinner): 

No, my dinner didn't look like that. It was just the meat, which was white, tender, and a just a little sweet. I loved it! 




Because I'd had nothing to eat since a small protein shake at breakfast, by dinnertime, I was starving. Alas, they serve bread before dinner at this restaurant. I was so hungry I ate a few pieces. (Yes, I logged my calories!) I hate it when that happens.

After dinner we went to see "Pacific Rim" in IMAX 3-D. If you haven't seen this movie, you need to! Especially in IMAX 3-D: you feel like you are IN the movie. The screen takes up your whole field of vision, so the 3-D special effects really pop out at you. Plus the size of the monsters and the robots seems so much more....amazingly huge in IMAX. And the sound system! AWESOME!!! A couple of times at non-IMAX movies lately I've been unhappy with the sound systems; it seems that some movie theaters are afraid to turn up the volume. (Maybe they are. Maybe if they turned the sound up too much they'd blow out their cheap speakers.) I had nothing to worry about last night! The sound quality at that theater was SO amazing! I could go on and on about how much fun it was to see "Pacific Rim" in IMAX 3-D, but really, you probably should just go and experience it for yourself. You won't regret it. And hopefully when you blog about it, you'll do a much better job than I have here.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment